Beautiful Crazy Life of a Single Mom

Here's the day in-day out of my amazing life with my baby boy.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Safety

This past weekend, I went to Magnolia to visit Chris and Jess. It was quite possibly the best weekend I have had in a very long time. Good cooking, good food, family, puppies, movies, and Jesus... it was an all around perfect weekend. I got to talk a lot to Jess about life. We talked about everything from looking good in a bikini in platform heels to hurts that we are having trouble dealing with. In the midst of one of our talks, we briefly brought up an issue that has haunted me my whole life (and most girls I am going to say). Safety...

What is it about that word that haunts me? It seems that in every aspect of my life I am looking for some kind of safety. I have a job to give me financial safety. I have great friends that give me social safety. I live in a great apartment that gives me an overall feeling of safety. But there is a part of me that always feels a little unprotected at times in our lives... our hearts.

As a woman, I am called to be soft. I am called to show the side of God that is vulnerable and longs for romance. I am called to be inviting. I am called to bring beauty, the escense of who God is. I am called also to be strong in a deeply feminie way. If women are called to be all of these things, why is it that so many women we see today are the opposite? They are guarded, hard, and constantly striving to "be better" rather than showing the heart God gave them. They are scared... and even more terriefied to let anyone know that. As I thought about that this weekend, I examined my own life. I thought back to when I was a little girl. Before the stresses of life and the world really meant anything to me. I rememebered being able to put my heart out there for everyone with no fear of pain or rejection. I was simply me and I felt amazing. I felt... safe.

Not too long ago, I was that hard and guarded woman. I was not vulnerable, I was not soft, and I was not inviting. I was going against my very esence as a woman. I didn't feel safe and because of that, I took care of all my fears and dangers myself. I would not put my heart out there for people to enjoy because I was protecting it. I was the only one who knew my heart and I wasn't goint to let anyone have the chance to hurt it. Now... take a look at this paragraph. How many times did I say I? That was my problem. The thing is, we are not the ones who are supposed to protect our hearts.

The Lord finally started working in my heart. He began showing me that HE is the one that is meant to take care of my fears and dangers. HE is the one that will protect my heart when I put it out there for others to enjoy. HE is the one who knows my true heart of hearts (every hurt, scar, and emotion). HE is the one who is meant to protect my heart. HE is my safety. I am able to be the woman I am called to be - soft, vulnerable, inviting, beutiful - when I am not focused on protecting myself, but rather trusting the Lord to protect my heart. He is so gentle with my heart. He is not some far off distnant God that is too busy to notice my hurts. He is the kind of God who hurts when my heart hurts. He is the God who will comfort me in ways no one else can when I am crying out to Him. He is the God who is loyal. He is the God who pursues me and romances my heart. And above all, He is the God who is jealous for me. He is jealous for my heart and will protect it passionately.

Safety of the heart is a huge issue. In any relationsip you have to feel safe. Women feel safe when the man is consistant. When she can share her heart and her thoughts and is comforted and listened to rather than turned away or blown off. They feel safe when there is patience rather than frustration, when there is love rather than anger, and when there is comfort rather than busyness.

"But the Lord is faithful, and He will strenghten and protect you from the evil one."
- 2 Thessalonians 3:3

He is faithful and He is our protector. Trust Him with your heart. Be soft. Be vulnerable. Be inviting. Show the escence of God. Feel free to grow and flourish in His safety

Love,
Heritage Marie

3 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY amazing! You are such a gifted writer.

    I need to hear this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well..a fathers heart ebbs and flows. You are such a communicator, a poet of world class caliber. As I read this blog, I know I have succeeded and at the same time sorely failed in my quest to be the safe harbor you seek until he arrives in your life. One thing that neither ebbs nor flows. My committment to be the father you need and to change to that end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing your thoughts... You are an answer!

    Visit our blog @ www.MessengerInternational.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete